Brief Description of position:
Data Science Manager, Global Data Science
PayPal is looking for a key leader in the Global Data Science Organization to establish and scale Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence capabilities in Chennai (India). This person will be responsible for setting up and scaling a brand-new Data Science team and growing an existing Technical Product team to reach their potential in Chennai supporting Payments organization within PayPal.
This leader needs to have a strong background in Machine Learning, practical experience in building and implementing large scale predictive models to solve business problems, bringing insights and identifying additional opportunities from Data & Machine Learning to market, and experience managing Data Science teams.
They also need a strong results-focused business orientation, a collaborative and motivating style, and influencing skills to effectively interact with diverse executive stakeholders. Recruitment, training and retention of top-tier talent at all experience levels will be critical to success. This person will also serve as local Machine Learning/AI SME and play a critical part in expansion of this function in PayPal India Locations.
In your role, you will:
- Recruit, build and retain a top-tier data science team that brings together top talent at all levels, cutting edge technology, and analytic innovation
- Build, retain a top-tier Product members who understands Market needs, identifies real opportunities and influences stakeholder and being them to life to create positive impact to PayPal
- Assess, inspire and motivate a high performing team of data science professionals
- Develop impactful relationships with senior leaders in the Payments Business, stakeholders across the broader company, and leaders in the broader Data Science community
- Design, develop and implement real-time, highly complex advance machine learning models to solve credit business problems (demand generation, marketing, fraud, credit, account management and collections)
- Build ML/Al solutions and together with strong partnership with our engineering group and PayPal's Platforms organization.
- Communicate complex concepts and the results of the models and analyses to technical and non-technical audience. Be able to influence partners and customers.
- Interpret and effectively defend approaches to 3rd parties, including technical regulatory examiners
- Be a true thought leader for our organization (and PayPal overall) and contribute significantly to develop the next generation of applicable Al technologies for the company.
This leader will play a key role in GDS organization who will utilize their expertise to build a high performing team. The ideal individual we seek is a professionally mature, confident who is comfortable and effective at all levels of the organization. S/He will use their prior experience to deploy data science and machine learning solutions with modern technology in a business setting. This person will leverage their years of experience in driving positive impact on customers by leveraging machine learning and predictive analytics. The candidate will be seen as a strategic thought partner, capable of communicating and influencing senior leadership. S/He will have the ability to collaborate across the organization and enterprise, building relationships with key stakeholders.
- Advance degree (MS or PhD) in science or engineering field with 15+ years of relevant experience. 4+ years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in building a strong team of data scientists
- Proven experience in solving open-ended business problems using data science/ML/Al from initial ideation stage up to delivering ready-to-use solution
- Have a true passion for working on big data/ML/Al and professional experience in data mining, statistical analysis, predictive modeling, managing product functions
- Strong problem-solving skills, business acumen, and communication skills
- Proven experience in working with multiple partner groups to drive longer-term strategies within a matrix-based organization
- Strong Programming experience in C/C++, or Java, and skills in scripting languages such as Perl or Python. Familiar with various Machine Learning algorithms and Statistical methods
- SQL and Hadoop /Other Big Data skills
- Experience in Fintech/Banking/Payment industry a strong plus