About McKinsey Analytics Online Hackathon
During our online Hackathon, you will get a glimpse at the sort of problems and challenges that our McKinsey data scientists solve on a daily basis. The winner will receive a NIPS conference ticket and 5,000 USD for personal expenses. The best participants may also be invited for interviews with McKinsey Analytics.
About McKinsey & Company
McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm, deeply committed to helping institutions in the private, public and social sectors achieve lasting success. For over nine decades, our primary objective has been to serve as our clients' most trusted external advisor. With consultants in over 120 locations, in over 60 countries, across industries and functions, we bring unparalleled expertise to clients anywhere in the world. We work closely with teams at all levels of an organization to shape winning strategies, mobilize for change, build capabilities and drive successful execution.
McKinsey Analytics helps clients achieve better performance through data. We work together with clients to build analytics-driven organizations, providing end-to-end support covering strategy, operations, data science, implementation and change management. Our engagements range from use-case specific applications to full-scale analytics transformations. Our teams of consultants, data scientists, and engineers work together with clients to identify opportunities, assess available data, define solutions, establish optimal hosting environments, ingest data, develop cutting-edge algorithms, visualize outputs, and assess impact while building capabilities to sustain and expand it. Learn more at http://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/mckinsey-analytics/our-insights
Job Description - Data Scientist
Who You’ll Work With
You’ll work as part of the McKinsey Analytics team in one of our offices worldwide, for instance Waltham, MA, Chicago, New York, Sao Paolo, Madrid, London, Brussels, Dusseldorf, Milan, Wroclaw, Moscow, Gurgaon, Chennai, Bangalore, yet other locations are also available. You will work with data engineers and data translators to deliver the most cutting-edge analytics solutions to our Clients from various industries. Through the combination of strategic insights and advanced analytics technologies, you will be solving the most critical problems leading global organizations face.
What You’ll Do
Upon joining McKinsey Analytics, you will have a chance to work and learn from the best in class data scientists, data engineers and analytics translators. Here are some examples of projects you could be engaged in:
- Algorithmic route optimization for revenue improvement of a logistics company.
- Applying analytics in financial institutions’ fight against fraud.
- Simulating mining operations for our American gold mining client that identified opportunities to raise capacity by 20-40 percent.
- Using big data to build better predictive models around individual patients to better diagnose and treat disease.
- Experience in statistical modelling and/or machine learning.
- Experience in applying data science methods to business problems.
- Programming experience in at least 2 of the following language: R, Python, Scala, SQL.
- Educated to MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Mathematics.
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with a knack for explaining complex analytical concepts to people from other fields.
- Team leadership, mentoring and project management skills.
NIPS conference ticket with flights & accomodation + 5,000 USD
Rules of Participation
McKinsey Analytics Hackathon Rules
- The contest starts Friday, 20th July 2018, 00:00:00 (GMT) . The data set and the problem statement will be released at the same time.
- Entries submitted after the contest is closed, will not be considered.
- Since this is a hiring hack, you are expected to solve the problem on your own.
- Multiple IDs of user leads to disqualification from contest
- Use of external dataset is not allowed.
- Participation is free-of-charge.
- Participant must update their profile details and upload their latest CV.
- Throughout the hackathon, you are expected to respect fellow hackers and act with high integrity.
- Slack Live Chat admins hold the right to block any participant found to use foul / disrespectful language.
- Analytics Vidhya and McKinsey hold the right to disqualify any participant at any stage of competition if participant(s) are deemed to be acting fraudulently.
- *If due to unforeseen reasons the winner cannot attend or tickets become unavailable, McKinsey will provide a ticket for another analytics conference.