About QuantumBlack Hackathon
During our online hackathon, you will have the opportunity to experience some of the problems and challenges that our Data Engineers solve on a daily basis. The final winners will receive exciting prizes. Some selected participants interested in a career with us will be invited for interviews for Data Engineering opportunities with us.
About QuantumBlack, a McKinsey Company
QuantumBlack, a McKinsey Company is an advanced-analytics McKinsey team operating at the intersection of strategy, technology and design to improve performance outcomes for organizations. In 2015 QuantumBlack became part of McKinsey & Company. Together we combine our advanced analytics, design and engineering expertise with McKinsey’s industry knowledge and organizational change management experience. QuantumBlack was born and proven in Formula 1 – where teams live and breathe data. Today, we are still fascinated by how a marginal gain can have a significant impact on the performance of any organization. Learn more about QuantumBlack, a McKinsey Company at or visit our social media.
About McKinsey & Company
McKinsey & Company is a global management consulting firm, deeply committed to helping institutions in the private, public, and social sectors achieve lasting success. For over 90 years, our primary objective has been to serve as our clients' most trusted external advisor. With consultants in over 100 cities in over 60 countries, across industries and functions, we bring unparalleled expertise to clients anywhere in the world. We work closely with teams at all levels of an organization to shape winning strategies, mobilize for change, build capabilities and drive successful execution.
McKinsey blends analytics, design, and engineering thinking with our powerful, 90-year global network. We hire inspiring data engineers, data scientists, software engineers, product managers, designers, agile consultants, and digital marketers. From day one, you’ll be part of an agile team dedicated to helping our McKinsey clients, some of the world’s most innovative and influential organizations, perform at their best. For more information, visit mckinsey.com/TechCareers
Learn more at - McKinsey website or visit our social media
All In – Women
Our commitment to inclusion and equality for women is embedded into the fabric of our firm, an integral part of our mission to attract, retain, and develop the most talented and qualified people in world. Learn more about it here.
Apprenticeship is part of our culture and a big reason why so many women join and succeed at McKinsey. Learn more about apprenticeship in this video.
At QuantumBlack we enjoy, we celebrate
Job Description – Data Engineer
- Experience with at least two of the following technologies: Python, Scala, SQL, and Java
- Commercial client-facing project experience is helpful, including working in close-knit teams
- Ability to work across structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, extracting information and identifying linkages across disparate data sets
- Meaningful experience in multiple database technologies such as Distributed Processing (e.g., Spark, Hadoop, EMR), traditional RDBMS (e.g., MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL), MPP (e.g., AWS Redshift, Teradata), NoSQL (e.g., MongoDB, DynamoDB, Cassandra, Neo4J, Titan)
- Experience and interest in Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Platform and Databricks
- Confirmed ability in clearly communicating complex solutions
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse, global team
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English
- Eligible and open to working in Gurugram, India
Who You’ll Work With
You will work in multi-disciplinary environments harnessing data to provide real-world impact for organizations globally. You will influence many of the recommendations our clients need to positively change their businesses and enhance performance. You will work with data scientists, data translators and designers to tackle problems facing the world’s most influential organizations.
What You’ll Do
With joining QuantumBlack, you could be engaged in:
- Work with our clients to model their data landscape, obtain data extracts and define secure data exchange approaches
- Acquire, ingest, and process data from multiple sources and systems into Big Data platforms
- Understanding, assessing and mapping the data landscape.
- Maintaining our Information Security standards on the engagement.
- Collaborate with our data scientists to map data fields to hypotheses and curate, wrangle, and prepare data for use in their advanced analytical models.
- Defining the technology stack to be provisioned by our infrastructure team.
- Building modular pipeline to construct features and modelling tables.
- Use new and creative techniques to deliver impact for our clients as well as internal R&D projects.
- 1st Prize – iPad Pro, 12.8 inches, 128 GB
- 2nd Prize – iPad Pro, 12.8 inches, 128 GB
- 3rd Prize – iPhone XR
- 4th Prize - iPhone XR
- 5th Prize – Apple watch series4 – GPS + Cellular
Eligibility for Hiring
- Atleast 2 years of working experience in data engineering or related field
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in related field
- Eligible and open to working in Gurugram, India
Rules for Participation
- The contest starts on Friday, July 5th, 2019, 00:00:00 GMT. The data set and the problem statement will be released at the same time.
- Entries submitted after the contest is closed will not be considered.
- Participants are expected to solve the problem on their own.
- Multiple IDs of user leads to disqualification from contest.
- Participation is free-of-charge
- Participant must update their profile details and upload their latest CV.
- Throughout the hackathon, you are expected to respect fellow hackers and act with high integrity.
- Slack Live Chat admins hold the right to block any participant found to use foul/disrespectful language.
- Analytics Vidhya and McKinsey & Company (including QuantumBlack by McKinsey) hold the right to disqualify any participant at any stage of the competition if the participant(s) are deemed to be acting fraudulently.
- Note: If a hackathon participant is a good match for a McKinsey-QuantumBlack opportunity, one of our recruiters will be in touch.